Quick Take: Chinalco Closes $15 Billion Aluminum Deal With Yunnan Government
State-owned Aluminum Corporation of China (Chinalco) is set to gain more access to smelting capacity after sealing a deal valued at over 100 billion yuan ($15.6 billion) with the Yunnan provincial government.
China Copper Co. will acquire Yunnan Metallurgical Group, which owns Yunnan Aluminum Co. Ltd., according to a statement on Monday (link in Chinese).
China Copper is 58% owned by Chinalco and 42% by the Yunnan government, the statement said.
The move is the latest sign that Chinese aluminum producers want greater exposure to Yunnan, where hydropower is abundant, as the government cracks down on coal-fired power to cut pollution.
The deal will give Chinalco access to Yunnan Aluminum’s 1.6 million tons of smelting capacity, with another 1.45 million tons in the pipeline or under construction, said Jackie Wang, an aluminum analyst at CRU in Beijing.
Chinalco had a smelting capacity of nearly 4 million tons per year at the end of 2017, while bigger rival China Hongqiao Group, the world’s top aluminum producer, had 6.5 million tons at the end of last year.
The deal will also give Chinalco its first lead and zinc assets, as Yunnan Metallurgical Group also controls Yunnan Chihong Zinc & Germanium Co., which announced the agreement in its own statement on Monday.
Additional reporting by Reuters
Contact reporter Jason Tan (email@example.com)
Apr 16 11:48 PM
Apr 16 08:51 PM
Apr 16 06:48 PM
Apr 16 12:30 PM
Apr 15 07:22 PM
Apr 15 06:56 PM
Apr 15 06:49 PM
Apr 15 03:43 PM
Apr 14 07:38 PM
Apr 13 10:04 PM
Apr 13 07:04 PM
Apr 13 07:02 PM
Apr 13 07:00 PM
Apr 13 02:24 PM
Apr 12 07:07 PM
- 1Cover Story: Tech Giants Bet on the Smart-Car Revolution
- 2Ling Huawei: Huarong Can’t Be Treated Like a Normal Company in Bankruptcy Restructuring
- 3Beijing Exhibitions: Everything You Need to See in April
- 4Update: Alibaba Fined $2.8 Billion in Landmark China Antitrust Ruling
- 5Weekend Long Read: Zhou Xiaochuan on the Key Questions Facing China’s Carbon Ambitions (Part I)
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas