Quick Take: Chinalco Closes $15 Billion Aluminum Deal With Yunnan Government
State-owned Aluminum Corporation of China (Chinalco) is set to gain more access to smelting capacity after sealing a deal valued at over 100 billion yuan ($15.6 billion) with the Yunnan provincial government.
China Copper Co. will acquire Yunnan Metallurgical Group, which owns Yunnan Aluminum Co. Ltd., according to a statement on Monday (link in Chinese).
China Copper is 58% owned by Chinalco and 42% by the Yunnan government, the statement said.
The move is the latest sign that Chinese aluminum producers want greater exposure to Yunnan, where hydropower is abundant, as the government cracks down on coal-fired power to cut pollution.
The deal will give Chinalco access to Yunnan Aluminum’s 1.6 million tons of smelting capacity, with another 1.45 million tons in the pipeline or under construction, said Jackie Wang, an aluminum analyst at CRU in Beijing.
Chinalco had a smelting capacity of nearly 4 million tons per year at the end of 2017, while bigger rival China Hongqiao Group, the world’s top aluminum producer, had 6.5 million tons at the end of last year.
The deal will also give Chinalco its first lead and zinc assets, as Yunnan Metallurgical Group also controls Yunnan Chihong Zinc & Germanium Co., which announced the agreement in its own statement on Monday.
Additional reporting by Reuters
Contact reporter Jason Tan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
May 21 19:59
May 21 17:50
May 21 17:13
May 21 17:46
May 21 15:04
May 21 14:38
May 21 14:30
May 21 11:25
May 21 09:49
May 21 04:01
May 21 04:12
May 20 18:56
May 20 18:10
- 1Opinion: Jack Ma’s ‘669’ Sex Joke Reinforces Tech’s Culture of Gender Harassment
- 2Jack Ma Faces Backlash for Telling Employees How Often to Have Sex
- 3China Boosts Hydrogen Fuel Cell Investment in Green Energy Push
- 4Huawei to Seek Remedies in Face of U.S. Ban
- 5Huawei Prepares ‘Alternative Chips’ to Cope With U.S. Ban
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas