Quick Take: Chinalco Closes $15 Billion Aluminum Deal With Yunnan Government
State-owned Aluminum Corporation of China (Chinalco) is set to gain more access to smelting capacity after sealing a deal valued at over 100 billion yuan ($15.6 billion) with the Yunnan provincial government.
China Copper Co. will acquire Yunnan Metallurgical Group, which owns Yunnan Aluminum Co. Ltd., according to a statement on Monday (link in Chinese).
China Copper is 58% owned by Chinalco and 42% by the Yunnan government, the statement said.
The move is the latest sign that Chinese aluminum producers want greater exposure to Yunnan, where hydropower is abundant, as the government cracks down on coal-fired power to cut pollution.
The deal will give Chinalco access to Yunnan Aluminum’s 1.6 million tons of smelting capacity, with another 1.45 million tons in the pipeline or under construction, said Jackie Wang, an aluminum analyst at CRU in Beijing.
Chinalco had a smelting capacity of nearly 4 million tons per year at the end of 2017, while bigger rival China Hongqiao Group, the world’s top aluminum producer, had 6.5 million tons at the end of last year.
The deal will also give Chinalco its first lead and zinc assets, as Yunnan Metallurgical Group also controls Yunnan Chihong Zinc & Germanium Co., which announced the agreement in its own statement on Monday.
Additional reporting by Reuters
Contact reporter Jason Tan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 1Cover Story: How Evergrande Could Turn Into ‘China’s Lehman Brothers’
- 2In Depth: How Evergrande Hid Its Debt
- 3In Depth: How Evergrande Created China’s Most Valuable Automaker Without Selling a Single Car
- 4Caixin Explains: How Evergrande’s Hui Ka Yan Blew Up a $43 Billion Fortune
- 5In Depth: How a Liaoning Bank Got Sucked Into the Evergrande Vortex
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas