Quick Take: NetEase Partners With U.S. Game Developer Bungie
The American developer behind blockbuster games “Destiny” and “Halo” has announced a major partnership with China’s second largest game-maker, NetEase Inc.
With a $100-million investment, NetEase will gain a minority stake as well as a board seat in U.S.-based Bungie Inc., the Chinese firm said.
The deal will support Bungie’s incubation of creative gameplay and its ambition to expand globally, while it continues to operate independently with its employee-owned corporate structure, according to a NetEase statement.
“With NetEase’s industry expertise and international reach, our partnership will help us realize our shared goal of reaching players around the globe,” said Bungie CEO Pete Parsons.
NetEase saw revenues of $1.4 billion from online games in the first quarter of 2018, down 18.4% from the previous year. The company is second in China only to Tencent Holdings Ltd., which made $3.4 billion from smartphone games alone.
Their rivalry had moved overseas prior to this deal. Last month, Tencent acquired a controlling interest in New Zealand’s Grinding Gear Games, developer of “Path of Exile.”
Contact reporter Coco Feng (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Oct 30 06:09 PM
Oct 30 05:58 PM
Oct 30 02:07 PM
Oct 30 01:03 PM
Oct 30 12:24 PM
Oct 30 11:26 AM
Oct 29 07:18 PM
Oct 29 04:59 PM
Oct 29 04:53 PM
Oct 29 01:03 PM
Oct 29 10:29 AM
Oct 29 12:36 AM
Oct 28 06:09 PM
Oct 28 06:08 PM
Oct 28 05:37 PM
- 1Semiconductor Tech Trends Favor China in the Long Term
- 2Cover Story: A Fugitive Businessman’s High-Profile Bet in Myanmar
- 3Financial Sector Should Avoid ‘Wrong Paths’ of Speculation, Bubbles and Ponzi Schemes, Vice President Says
- 4In Depth: Why Was a Shanghai Zoo Worker Killed in a Bear Attack?
- 5Analysis: Jack Ma Needs a Refresher on How Financial Regulation Works
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas