Quick Take: NetEase Partners With U.S. Game Developer Bungie
The American developer behind blockbuster games “Destiny” and “Halo” has announced a major partnership with China’s second largest game-maker, NetEase Inc.
With a $100-million investment, NetEase will gain a minority stake as well as a board seat in U.S.-based Bungie Inc., the Chinese firm said.
The deal will support Bungie’s incubation of creative gameplay and its ambition to expand globally, while it continues to operate independently with its employee-owned corporate structure, according to a NetEase statement.
“With NetEase’s industry expertise and international reach, our partnership will help us realize our shared goal of reaching players around the globe,” said Bungie CEO Pete Parsons.
NetEase saw revenues of $1.4 billion from online games in the first quarter of 2018, down 18.4% from the previous year. The company is second in China only to Tencent Holdings Ltd., which made $3.4 billion from smartphone games alone.
Their rivalry had moved overseas prior to this deal. Last month, Tencent acquired a controlling interest in New Zealand’s Grinding Gear Games, developer of “Path of Exile.”
Contact reporter Coco Feng (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Aug 07 16:15
Aug 07 15:42
Aug 07 04:24
Aug 06 19:23
Aug 06 19:01
Aug 06 17:30
Aug 06 16:01
Aug 06 14:18
Aug 05 18:04
Aug 05 17:20
Aug 05 17:03
Aug 05 16:47
Aug 05 15:15
Aug 05 13:25
Aug 04 17:56
- 1Exclusive: Ant Group Aims to Raise $30 Billion in Record-Shattering IPO
- 2Chinese Researchers Find Mutation That Could Make Covid-19 10 Times More Infectious
- 3TikTok Shifts Global Operations Base to Europe
- 4China Dodges Corporate Bond Default Bullet but Outlook Is Darkening
- 5China Plans to Give Foreign Investors More Market Access
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas