Chart: Liu He’s Rapid Rise
After years of keeping a low profile, Vice Premier Liu He has recently been catapulted into the spotlight.
Liu has taken on an increasingly important role in the country’s economic affairs over the past few months. Since becoming a vice premier in March, he has been appointed to one top position after another in cabinet-level leadership groups, including those targeting state-owned enterprise reform, work safety and financial stability.
Liu has long been seen as one of President Xi Jinping’s top economic advisors, especially since he was appointed head of the Communist Party’s Office of the Central Leading Group for Financial and Economic Affairs in 2013.
He had largely stayed behind the scenes until earlier this year, when he gave a speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, on China’s plans for economic reform and opening up. As vice premier, Liu assists Premier Li Keqiang, who is serving his second five-year term.
In May, Liu met with U.S. President Donald Trump as Xi’s special envoy in an unsuccessful bid to head off a trade war between the two countries.
The following is a timeline of Liu’s rise.
Apr 19 23:01
Apr 19 18:07
Apr 19 17:18
Apr 19 15:49
Apr 19 14:47
Apr 19 12:01
Apr 19 11:31
Apr 19 02:45
Apr 18 17:03
Apr 18 12:54
Apr 18 10:19
Apr 18 03:26
Apr 18 02:59
Apr 18 02:21
Apr 18 02:32
- 1MSCI Postpones China Index Transition for Nearly Six Months
- 2Incident in Shandong Pharmaceutical Plant Kills 10
- 3JD Logistics Might Go Bust in Two Years if Losses Continue, Founder Says
- 4Jack Ma and Richard Liu Voice Support for Intense ‘996’ Work Culture – and People Are Not Happy About It
- 5‘Avengers: Endgame’ Has Made 400 Million Yuan in China – And It’s Not Even Out Yet
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas