Quick Take: Busted Graft-Buster Pleads Guilty
Sometimes, even the disciplinarians must be disciplined.
A former senior anti-graft official pleaded guilty Tuesday to taking nearly 33 million yuan ($4.8 million) in bribes — much of it in the form of gold bars, jade and jewelry.
Zhang Huawei was a senior disciplinary inspector for years at the Communist Party’s powerful Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI), until he came under investigation in April.
The one-day trial took place Tuesday at Beijing’s No. 2 Intermediate People’s Court. No verdict was immediately issued.
The court said that Zhang used his influence to benefit associates in business operations, property sales and job promotions.
CCDI itself has come under intense scrutiny over its extrajudicial detention of corruption suspects and its lack of transparency in handling allegations against party officials.
Wei Jian, another former CCDI official, was sentenced to 15 years in prison at a court in the eastern province of Shandong last year for taking in 54 million yuan in bribes from 2002 to 2014.
Contact reporter Li Rongde (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jul 17 17:33
Jul 17 17:27
Jul 17 17:29
Jul 17 16:31
Jul 17 16:28
Jul 17 13:48
Jul 17 13:50
Jul 17 12:57
Jul 17 11:44
Jul 17 09:00
Jul 17 09:19
Jul 17 02:19
Jul 17 02:36
Jul 16 17:58
Jul 16 17:19
- 1Exclusive: Huawei Smartphone Manufacturer Halts Production at Changsha Plant, Sources Say
- 2Controversial Chinese Blockchain Entrepreneur Invites Trump to Buffett’s Charity Lunch
- 3 Seven Foreign EF Teachers Reportedly Among 19 Detained for Drug Offenses
- 4In Depth: Camsing Fraud Allegations Spotlight Supply-Chain Finance
- 5Starbucks Launches New Takeout-Focused Concept Store — With ‘Limited’ Seating
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas