Caixin
Caixin Global – Latest China News & Headlines

Home >

TRENDING
Unitree Shares Decline as Founder Flags Limits of Humanoid Robots
YMTC Moves Closer to Shanghai IPO
Alibaba’s Profit Plunges as E-Commerce Business Falters, AI Investment Jumps
LATEST
DeepSeek Enters the Multimodal AI Race with Experimental Vision Model
Alibaba’s Profit Plunges as E-Commerce Business Falters, AI Investment Jumps
YMTC Moves Closer to Shanghai IPO
Unitree Shares Decline as Founder Flags Limits of Humanoid Robots
AI Companies’ Success Lies in the Apps, Bain’s China Chairman Says
China’s LandSpace Recovers Booster in Reusable Rocket Breakthrough
Spacecom Raises $1.94 billion in Bet on China’s Starlink Rival
U.S. Appeals Court Orders Review of Pentagon’s DJI Designation
Unitree to Debut at 61 Billion Yuan Valuation in Closely Watched Shanghai IPO
Alibaba to Sell Gaming Unit as It Sharpens AI Focus
China’s DJI and Arashi Vision Escalate Battle for 360-Camera Market
Didi Swings to Quarterly Profit, but Overseas Push Weighs on First-Half Results
Z.AI Pushes AI Model With Coding Edge to Rival Anthropic, Open AI
DeepSeek Launches V4-Pro and Raises API Prices by as Much as 1,100%
Tencent Shares Fall as AI Spending Squeezes Profit
Honor’s New Smartphone Doubles as a Robotic Camera Operator
YMTC Overtakes Kioxia by Shipments to Rank No. 3 in Global NAND Market
ModelBest Begins Pre-IPO Tutoring as On-Device AI Competition Heats Up
U.S. Proposes Ban on Domestic Drone Maker Over Alleged DJI Ties
Manus Cuts Ties With Meta as Tencent Emerges as Top Backer

By Noelle Mateer / Nov 22, 2018 11:40 AM / Society & Culture

The set of the Shanghai show that never was. Photo: VCG

The set of the Shanghai show that never was. Photo: VCG

The backlash against Dolce & Gabbana’s China controversy is still going strong – so strong, in fact, that the company has issued another apology.

In a second apology post on Instagram, D&G founders Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana address the postponement of their Shanghai show, which had been scheduled for Wednesday, but was cancelled after several celebrities dropped out in response to a ‘racist’ ad campaign.

"Our dream was to bring to Shanghai a tribute event dedicated to China which tells our history and vision. It was not simply a fashion show, but something that we created especially with love and passion for China and all the people around the world who loves [sic] Dolce & Gabbana. What happened today was very unfortunate not only for us, but also for all the people who worked day and night to bring this event to life.”

The backlash began earlier this week after the brand shared three videos on Instagram featuring a Chinese-looking woman being told by a male voice how to use chopsticks to eat Italian food. In one clip, the male narrator asks the female model if the cannoli, a stick-shaped pastry, "is it too huge for you?"

Later, screenshots that circulated of co-founder Gabbana's private message box on Instagram worsened the drama: the designer allegedly described China as "a country of (five poop emojis)."

By and large, commenters on the post appear unsatisfied with the apology. Says one: "As a big brand, you guys still fail to make a sincere apology after all these days. China has risen, and it's no longer a place for you to simply take our money and leave without showing respect." Says another: "Please go away from China market, we don't welcome you." Many simply post poop emojis – a reference to the alleged conversation in which Gabbana used the same emojis to describe China.


Share this article
Open WeChat and scan the QR code