Chart of the Day: Smart Speaker Shipments Surge
China’s smart speaker market surged almost sevenfold in the fourth quarter last year, as tech giants continue to fight for a competitive edge in artificial intelligence (AI).
The country’s smart speaker shipments hit 8.56 million units for the period, up 665% year-on-year, technology analysts Canalys said on Monday.
Identified by voice-based systems that interact with users, smart speakers are expected to become an indispensable part of daily life, letting people control smart devices from televisions to air conditioners to automobiles by voice command.
Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. came out on top with 2.7 million units shipped, accounting for 31% of the total. The company introduced the voice-controlled Tmall Genie in July 2017, an Amazon Echo-like smart speaker that lets users buy things using Alibaba’s online stores.
“With its ownership of Tmall, Alibaba aggressively promoted early presale bundles and perks locking in buyers in advance, thereby helping it to gauge overall demand early and optimize shipments to go out on time,” said Jason Low, a senior Canalys analyst.
It was followed by Xiaomi and Baidu, which took the second and third spots by shipping about 2.5 million units each, accounting for 30% and 29% respectively.
Xiaomi, which launched its XiaoAi smart speaker in July 2017, unveiled a new model with a screen on Wednesday.
Baidu joined the race in November 2017 when it launched its first AI smart speaker, the Raven H. In June 2018, the internet giant added a new speaker, the Xiaodu.
Jason Low said Baidu had tried to counter Alibaba and Xiaomi by offering steep discounts. The Xiaodu was priced at just 249 yuan ($37), with an even lower promotional price tag of 89 yuan. Baidu saw a 12% increase in its smart speaker market share from the third to the fourth quarter.
Reporter Han Wei contributed to this report.
Contact reporter Tang Ziyi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Oct 24 03:05 AM
Oct 23 06:43 PM
Oct 23 05:51 PM
Oct 23 05:40 PM
Oct 23 05:19 PM
Oct 23 12:53 PM
Oct 23 11:20 AM
Oct 22 06:38 PM
Oct 22 06:26 PM
Oct 22 06:14 PM
Oct 22 06:07 PM
Oct 22 04:52 PM
Oct 22 01:34 PM
Oct 22 12:28 PM
Oct 22 12:22 PM
- 1Cover Story: Death Follows as People Push Into Elephant Enclave
- 2Yi Gang Predicts China’s GDP Will Grow 2% in 2020
- 3In Depth: Who’s Getting Vaccinated? High-Risk Groups, Students Going Abroad Join China's Growing Trials
- 4China Encourages More Domestic Investment Abroad
- 5Gallery: Beijing’s Old Summer Palace — 160 Years After Its Ruin
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas