Chart of the Day: Smart Speaker Shipments Surge
China’s smart speaker market surged almost sevenfold in the fourth quarter last year, as tech giants continue to fight for a competitive edge in artificial intelligence (AI).
The country’s smart speaker shipments hit 8.56 million units for the period, up 665% year-on-year, technology analysts Canalys said on Monday.
Identified by voice-based systems that interact with users, smart speakers are expected to become an indispensable part of daily life, letting people control smart devices from televisions to air conditioners to automobiles by voice command.
Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. came out on top with 2.7 million units shipped, accounting for 31% of the total. The company introduced the voice-controlled Tmall Genie in July 2017, an Amazon Echo-like smart speaker that lets users buy things using Alibaba’s online stores.
“With its ownership of Tmall, Alibaba aggressively promoted early presale bundles and perks locking in buyers in advance, thereby helping it to gauge overall demand early and optimize shipments to go out on time,” said Jason Low, a senior Canalys analyst.
It was followed by Xiaomi and Baidu, which took the second and third spots by shipping about 2.5 million units each, accounting for 30% and 29% respectively.
Xiaomi, which launched its XiaoAi smart speaker in July 2017, unveiled a new model with a screen on Wednesday.
Baidu joined the race in November 2017 when it launched its first AI smart speaker, the Raven H. In June 2018, the internet giant added a new speaker, the Xiaodu.
Jason Low said Baidu had tried to counter Alibaba and Xiaomi by offering steep discounts. The Xiaodu was priced at just 249 yuan ($37), with an even lower promotional price tag of 89 yuan. Baidu saw a 12% increase in its smart speaker market share from the third to the fourth quarter.
Reporter Han Wei contributed to this report.
Contact reporter Tang Ziyi (email@example.com)
Nov 15 17:49
Nov 15 15:25
Nov 15 13:33
Nov 15 13:59
Nov 15 13:19
Nov 15 13:29
Nov 15 13:06
Nov 15 10:54
Nov 14 22:18
Nov 14 18:03
Nov 14 18:32
Nov 14 18:57
- 1China’s Manufacturing Sector Expands at Fastest Pace in Nearly Three Years, Caixin PMI Shows
- 2China Will Create ‘Space Economic Zone’ by Midcentury: Report
- 3Swiss Telecom CEO Explains Why He’s Sticking With Huawei
- 4China Revamps Undergraduate Studies, Tapping Controversial Talent Program
- 5Alibaba’s Sales Surge 40% and Profit Triples
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas