Chart of the Day: How Overseas-Based DouYu Can Run an Internet Business in China
Video-game livestreaming platform DouYu International Holdings Ltd. filed for a U.S. IPO earlier this week.
DouYu’s largest shareholder is internet giant Tencent Holdings Ltd., which holds 40.1% of the company through its wholly-owned subsidiary Nectarine Investment Ltd.
Like most other Chinese companies that list outside the country, DouYu uses a legal structure called a variable interest entity (VIE) to skirt rigid financial rules that prohibit foreign investment and ownership in some sectors, including the internet business.
In DouYu’s case, the company is incorporated in the Cayman Islands even though it primarily operates in China. Through a wholly-owned Hong Kong-based subsidiary that is owned outright by a unit based in the British Virgin Islands, DouYu controls a company called Wuhan Douyu Culture Network Technology Co. Ltd., located in its hometown of Wuhan, Central China’s Hubei province.
Wuhan Douyu has contracts with two VIEs — Wuhan Ouyue Online TV Co. Ltd. and Wuhan Douyu Internet Technology Co. Ltd. — whose primary purposes is that they hold licenses from regulators to operate in the domestic internet industry. Both VIEs are controlled by DouYu International’s founder and CEO Chen Shaojie.
Contact reporter Mo Yelin (email@example.com)
Feb 25 18:27
Feb 25 17:52
Feb 25 15:49
Feb 25 13:28
Feb 25 12:52
Feb 24 18:02
Feb 24 17:28
Feb 24 14:15
Feb 24 14:04
Feb 24 13:10
Feb 22 03:07
- 1Another Study Claims Wuhan Seafood Market May Not Be Source of Covid-19 Outbreak
- 2Exclusive: Cluster of Death Found at Wuhan Nursing Home Near Seafood Market
- 3Coronavirus Monday Update: Virus May Gain Ground Again, Experts Warn; Costco Shanghai Urged to Control Traffic
- 4Will Warming Weather Kill Off Covid-19? Scientists Aren’t Sure
- 5Coronavirus Sunday Update: Iran Reports 8 Deaths; Chinese Researchers Doubt Wuhan Virus Origin
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas