Chart of the Day: How Overseas-Based DouYu Can Run an Internet Business in China
Video-game livestreaming platform DouYu International Holdings Ltd. filed for a U.S. IPO earlier this week.
DouYu’s largest shareholder is internet giant Tencent Holdings Ltd., which holds 40.1% of the company through its wholly-owned subsidiary Nectarine Investment Ltd.
Like most other Chinese companies that list outside the country, DouYu uses a legal structure called a variable interest entity (VIE) to skirt rigid financial rules that prohibit foreign investment and ownership in some sectors, including the internet business.
In DouYu’s case, the company is incorporated in the Cayman Islands even though it primarily operates in China. Through a wholly-owned Hong Kong-based subsidiary that is owned outright by a unit based in the British Virgin Islands, DouYu controls a company called Wuhan Douyu Culture Network Technology Co. Ltd., located in its hometown of Wuhan, Central China’s Hubei province.
Wuhan Douyu has contracts with two VIEs — Wuhan Ouyue Online TV Co. Ltd. and Wuhan Douyu Internet Technology Co. Ltd. — whose primary purposes is that they hold licenses from regulators to operate in the domestic internet industry. Both VIEs are controlled by DouYu International’s founder and CEO Chen Shaojie.
Contact reporter Mo Yelin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jul 13 19:13
Jul 13 18:03
Jul 13 16:34
Jul 13 13:57
Jul 13 12:49
Jul 10 19:00
Jul 10 18:54
Jul 10 17:22
Jul 10 16:31
Jul 10 13:03
- 1For Electric-Vehicle Maker Nio, Government Tie-Up Has Its Benefits
- 2Tencent’s PUBG Mobile Game Hits $3 Billion Milestone
- 3Zoom Investment Grew From Li Ka-shing’s Disgust at Pricey Video Gear, Says His Tech-Savvy Companion
- 4In Depth: CATL Loses Electric-Car Battery Crown as Foreign Firms Muscle In
- 5Trending in China: Outrage Ensues as Updated U.S. Student Visa Policies Force International Students into a Dilemma
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas