China Financial Super Regulator Begins Operations
A new cabinet-level committee that will coordinate various regulators to oversee China’s sprawling financial industry started operating, according to the state-run Xinhua News Agency.
The committee, known as the Financial Stability and Development Committee, held its first meeting on Wednesday, Xinhua said. It was chaired by Ma Kai, vice premier of the State Council who is in charge of the financial sector.
The cross-agency committee was formed in July, when fragmented regulatory efforts across the government had proven insufficient to stem systemic risks especially in the shadow banking system, and to respond to new risks such as cryptocurrencies, risky insurance products and peer-to-peer lending.
The committee will review a strategic plan of financial reforms; coordinate China’s monetary policy and financial regulation; and forge policies on financial risk management so as to maintain country’s financial stability, Xinhua said.
The committee will also supervise financial regulatory bodies, and guide local financial development, Xinhua added.
For years, separate parts of China’s financial sector have had their own regulators. That worked fairly well until a slew of financial innovations came into the market, which led to a build-up of products out of regulators’ reach and therefore greater risks.
The committee was conceived to restart the nation’s once-fragmented efforts to curb financial risks, as maintaining stability was high on the agenda of the country’s annual work report.
Zhou Xiaochuan, the central bank governor, said preventing systematic financial risks is an eternal theme for the country’s regulators, and called for a stronger mandate of central government’s supervision in finance in a guide to the 19th National Party Congress report recently.
Xinhua’s brief report didn’t elaborate further on who is sitting on the committee besides Ma.
Caixin learnt earlier that the central bank, banking, insurance and securities regulators will each nominate one representative to the committee as vice chairpersons to coordinate the work of the stability committee.
Contact reporter Leng Cheng (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mar 21 17:12
Mar 21 17:16
Mar 21 16:52
Mar 21 15:49
Mar 20 19:25
Mar 20 18:20
Mar 20 17:07
Mar 20 16:06
Mar 20 16:43
Mar 20 14:49
Mar 20 14:36
Mar 20 12:35
Mar 20 01:57
Mar 19 20:56
- 1China Passes Landmark Foreign Investment Law
- 2Update: Tax Cuts Mean Governments Need to Tighten Their Belts: Premier Li
- 3China Became Net Importer of Rare Earths in 2018
- 4Uxin Shares Plunge as Revenue Surge Fails to Yield Profit
- 5Popular WeChat Account Valued at 2 Billion Yuan Snapped Up By Education Firm
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas