Quick Take: Online Lender WeLab Raises $220 Million for Expansion
WeLab, an online lender in Hong Kong and the Chinese mainland, said it has raised $220 million in new funds from investors including Alibaba Hong Kong Entrepreneurs Fund and International Finance Corp.
Part of the new funds will be used to expand outside Greater China, WeLab said in a statement.
WeLab was founded in Hong Kong in 2013, and is operating through two platforms — WeLend in Hong Kong and Wolaidai on the mainland. The company said those two platforms have processed $28 billion of loans for 25 million users.
Including the latest series B+ funding, WeLab raised $425 million, the company added. Investors from previous funding rounds include CK Hutchison’s TOM Group, Malaysian sovereign wealth fund Khazanah Nasional Berhad and Sequoia Capital, WeLab said.
“We have been able to strengthen our cash position, further diversify financing sources and strengthen relationships with leading, global financial organizations,” WeLab Founder and CEO Simon Loong said in the statement.
The story is updated to correct that WeLab is an online lender
Contact reporter Aries Poon (email@example.com)
Apr 19 23:01
Apr 19 18:07
Apr 19 17:18
Apr 19 15:49
Apr 19 14:47
Apr 19 12:01
Apr 19 11:31
Apr 19 02:45
Apr 18 17:03
Apr 18 12:54
Apr 18 10:19
Apr 18 03:26
Apr 18 02:59
Apr 18 02:21
Apr 18 02:32
- 1MSCI Postpones China Index Transition for Nearly Six Months
- 2Incident in Shandong Pharmaceutical Plant Kills 10
- 3JD Logistics Might Go Bust in Two Years if Losses Continue, Founder Says
- 4Jack Ma and Richard Liu Voice Support for Intense ‘996’ Work Culture – and People Are Not Happy About It
- 5‘Avengers: Endgame’ Has Made 400 Million Yuan in China – And It’s Not Even Out Yet
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas