Chinese Walk 40 Times the Distance From Earth to Mars for Digital Red Envelopes
The tradition of giving "hongbao," or red envelopes, during the Lunar new year has become the latest weapon used by China's major online payment services in their turf wars.
In recent years, China’s top digital payment providers, Alipay, Tencent’s WeChat pay, have flooded users with virtual red envelopes during the festive season to reward their loyalty.
This year, the players have ratcheted up their game, with Tencent giving out 1.79 billion red envelops worth a total of 200 million yuan to 221 million users through its QQ messaging platform during the Lunar New Year, the Internet giant said on Monday.
- 1In Depth: Tesla Charges Into China
- 2China Biz Roundup Podcast: Factory Inflation Stalls, iPhone Discounts, and Private Kindergarten Closures
- 3Update: China’s New Credit Growth Hits Record High
- 4 Operators of ‘Underground Banks’ Which Move Cash Out of China to Face Jail
- 5China Suspends Registration of Direct Selling Firms
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas