Quick Take: HNA Eyes Stake in E-commerce Platform Dangdang
Chinese conglomerate HNA Group is seeking an undisclosed stake in local e-commerce platform Dangdang Inc. through its Shanghai-listed subsidiary Tianjin Tianhai Investment Co. Ltd., according to a stock exchange filing released Friday.
According to the filing, Tianhai may issue new shares and raise funds for the purchase. Details about the deal are yet to be confirmed.
Reuters reported last October that HNA was seeking to buy a 90% stake in Dangdang, whose valuation ranged from $1.2 billion to $1.5 billion at the time. However, Li Guoqing, CEO of Dangdang, denied the report.
Last June, HNA was criticized by China's banking regulator for its aggressive overseas buying spree, which has led to a large debt pile. Since then, the private enterprise has pared back some of its offshore assets to reduce debt. The latest move was to sell land in Hong Kong for HK$6.4 billion ($825 million), which was announced Thursday.
Tianhai, an investment arm of HNA, was in the international spotlight after buying global information technology products distributor Ingram Micro for $6 billion in 2016. It was one of China's largest high-tech purchases in the sensitive U.S. market.
Tianhai suspended its share trading in January. Its stock was valued at 18.8 billion yuan ($3 billion) at the time.
Dangdang went public on the New York Stock Exchange in 2010 and delisted in 2016 when it’s market value was $556 million.
Contact reporter Lin Jinbing (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jun 06 01:34
Jun 05 23:57
Jun 05 17:06
Jun 05 13:20
Jun 04 17:45
Jun 04 17:19
Jun 04 16:26
Jun 04 12:38
Jun 03 18:07
Jun 03 16:48
Jun 03 13:17
Jun 03 12:25
Jun 03 06:45
Jun 02 16:29
Jun 02 14:45
- 1Update: China to Allow Banned Foreign Airlines to Resume Some Flights
- 2Luckin Founder to Cash Out of Rental Car Unit
- 3Fighting Coronavirus: Policy Analysis and Practical Experiences
- 4In Depth: Huawei Has a Sanction-Proof Pile of Processors, but They Won’t Last Long
- 5TSMC Looks Homeward for New $10 Billion Chip Plant
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas