Quick Take: Tencent, Changan Auto Announce Autonomous-Vehicle Joint Venture
Tencent Holdings Ltd. is setting up a joint venture with state-owned Chongqing Changan Automobile Co. Ltd., as the technology titan races into the booming autonomous-driving sector.
Dadi Tongtu Information Technology Co. Ltd., a unit of Tencent, will spend 102 million yuan ($16.2 million) for a 51 percent stake in the venture, while Changan will get the remaining 49 percent for 98 million yuan, according to a Changan statement on Thursday (link in Chinese).
The new company will focus on internet-connected driving that taps artificial intelligence and big-data technologies, it said.
In addition to Tencent, rivals like Baidu Inc. and Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. have sought closer ties with traditional automakers to break into the business. The automakers, meanwhile, are eager to take advantage of the internet companies’ technological know-how, particularly on big data and mapping.
A case in point is Baidu and Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Co. Ltd, which announced in August they planned to roll out a semi-autonomous car by the second half of 2019.
In December, Changan said it had received clearance to test autonomous vehicles on public roads in the U.S. state of California. That came after the automaker completed a 2,000-kilometer (1,240-mile) road test from the southwestern metropolis of Chongqing to Beijing in 2016.
Contact reporter Jason Tan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Apr 01 16:00
Apr 01 15:51
Apr 01 13:31
Apr 01 10:40
Apr 01 03:10
Apr 01 03:06
Mar 31 18:19
Mar 31 17:11
Mar 31 13:09
Mar 31 12:54
Mar 31 09:32
Mar 30 17:37
Mar 30 15:43
Mar 30 12:54
Mar 30 10:06
- 1In Virus-Ravaged Wuhan, Hours-Long Queues to Collect the Ashes of the Dead
- 2Gallery: Bereaved Families of Wuhan Finally Allowed to Collect Their Loved Ones’ Remains
- 3Zhejiang Covid-19 Infection Highlights Threat from Asymptomatic Carriers
- 4Zhang Wenhong: Little Chance Coronavirus Pandemic Will End This Summer
- 5Coronavirus Live Updates (Thursday): G-20 Commits to $5 Trillion Injection; U.S. Jobless Claims Hit Record; Global Caseload Tops 500,000
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas