Quick Take: Tencent, Changan Auto Announce Autonomous-Vehicle Joint Venture
Tencent Holdings Ltd. is setting up a joint venture with state-owned Chongqing Changan Automobile Co. Ltd., as the technology titan races into the booming autonomous-driving sector.
Dadi Tongtu Information Technology Co. Ltd., a unit of Tencent, will spend 102 million yuan ($16.2 million) for a 51 percent stake in the venture, while Changan will get the remaining 49 percent for 98 million yuan, according to a Changan statement on Thursday (link in Chinese).
The new company will focus on internet-connected driving that taps artificial intelligence and big-data technologies, it said.
In addition to Tencent, rivals like Baidu Inc. and Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. have sought closer ties with traditional automakers to break into the business. The automakers, meanwhile, are eager to take advantage of the internet companies’ technological know-how, particularly on big data and mapping.
A case in point is Baidu and Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Co. Ltd, which announced in August they planned to roll out a semi-autonomous car by the second half of 2019.
In December, Changan said it had received clearance to test autonomous vehicles on public roads in the U.S. state of California. That came after the automaker completed a 2,000-kilometer (1,240-mile) road test from the southwestern metropolis of Chongqing to Beijing in 2016.
Contact reporter Jason Tan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jan 29 17:18
Jan 29 12:38
Jan 29 10:20
Jan 29 06:38
Jan 28 11:53
Jan 28 11:38
Jan 28 11:31
Jan 27 14:25
Jan 27 14:09
Jan 27 13:57
Jan 24 06:56
Jan 24 06:01
Jan 24 02:16
Jan 23 18:30
Jan 23 16:00
- 1Wuhan Virus Latest: Beijing Warns of Person-to-Person Spread
- 2Reporter’s Notebook: We Stayed in Wuhan as the Last Trains Pulled Out
- 3Travel Warnings Issued as Coronavirus Cases Confirmed on Four Continents
- 4Wuhan Mayor Offers to Resign Over Coronavirus Response
- 5Beijing, Shanghai and Other Cities Enact Highest Level Emergency in Response to Coronavirus
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas