Quick Take: Tencent, Changan Auto Announce Autonomous-Vehicle Joint Venture
Tencent Holdings Ltd. is setting up a joint venture with state-owned Chongqing Changan Automobile Co. Ltd., as the technology titan races into the booming autonomous-driving sector.
Dadi Tongtu Information Technology Co. Ltd., a unit of Tencent, will spend 102 million yuan ($16.2 million) for a 51 percent stake in the venture, while Changan will get the remaining 49 percent for 98 million yuan, according to a Changan statement on Thursday (link in Chinese).
The new company will focus on internet-connected driving that taps artificial intelligence and big-data technologies, it said.
In addition to Tencent, rivals like Baidu Inc. and Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. have sought closer ties with traditional automakers to break into the business. The automakers, meanwhile, are eager to take advantage of the internet companies’ technological know-how, particularly on big data and mapping.
A case in point is Baidu and Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Co. Ltd, which announced in August they planned to roll out a semi-autonomous car by the second half of 2019.
In December, Changan said it had received clearance to test autonomous vehicles on public roads in the U.S. state of California. That came after the automaker completed a 2,000-kilometer (1,240-mile) road test from the southwestern metropolis of Chongqing to Beijing in 2016.
Contact reporter Jason Tan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Aug 07 16:15
Aug 07 15:42
Aug 07 04:24
Aug 06 19:23
Aug 06 19:01
Aug 06 17:30
Aug 06 16:01
Aug 06 14:18
Aug 05 18:04
Aug 05 17:20
Aug 05 17:03
Aug 05 16:47
Aug 05 15:15
Aug 05 13:25
Aug 04 17:56
- 1Exclusive: Ant Group Aims to Raise $30 Billion in Record-Shattering IPO
- 2Chinese Researchers Find Mutation That Could Make Covid-19 10 Times More Infectious
- 3TikTok Shifts Global Operations Base to Europe
- 4China Dodges Corporate Bond Default Bullet but Outlook Is Darkening
- 5China Plans to Give Foreign Investors More Market Access
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas