Quick Take: Tencent, Changan Auto Announce Autonomous-Vehicle Joint Venture
Tencent Holdings Ltd. is setting up a joint venture with state-owned Chongqing Changan Automobile Co. Ltd., as the technology titan races into the booming autonomous-driving sector.
Dadi Tongtu Information Technology Co. Ltd., a unit of Tencent, will spend 102 million yuan ($16.2 million) for a 51 percent stake in the venture, while Changan will get the remaining 49 percent for 98 million yuan, according to a Changan statement on Thursday (link in Chinese).
The new company will focus on internet-connected driving that taps artificial intelligence and big-data technologies, it said.
In addition to Tencent, rivals like Baidu Inc. and Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. have sought closer ties with traditional automakers to break into the business. The automakers, meanwhile, are eager to take advantage of the internet companies’ technological know-how, particularly on big data and mapping.
A case in point is Baidu and Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Co. Ltd, which announced in August they planned to roll out a semi-autonomous car by the second half of 2019.
In December, Changan said it had received clearance to test autonomous vehicles on public roads in the U.S. state of California. That came after the automaker completed a 2,000-kilometer (1,240-mile) road test from the southwestern metropolis of Chongqing to Beijing in 2016.
Contact reporter Jason Tan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nov 14 22:18
Nov 14 18:03
Nov 14 18:32
Nov 14 18:57
Nov 14 15:41
Nov 14 13:12
Nov 14 13:27
Nov 14 12:33
Nov 14 12:37
Nov 14 12:53
Nov 14 10:32
Nov 13 23:24
Nov 13 20:13
Nov 13 19:50
Nov 13 18:27
- 1China’s Manufacturing Sector Expands at Fastest Pace in Nearly Three Years, Caixin PMI Shows
- 2China Will Create ‘Space Economic Zone’ by Midcentury: Report
- 3Swiss Telecom CEO Explains Why He’s Sticking With Huawei
- 4China Revamps Undergraduate Studies, Tapping Controversial Talent Program
- 5Alibaba’s Sales Surge 40% and Profit Triples
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas