JD.com Buys 33% Stake in Allianz China Unit
Chinese e-commerce giant JD.com Inc. will pay 536.6 million yuan ($85.4 million) for a 33.3% stake in the China unit of German insurance giant Allianz SE. The transaction marks JD.com’s latest push into the internet finance sector.
The purchase will make JD.com the second largest shareholder of Allianz China General Insurance Co. after Allianz Group, the insurer said in a filing Monday. The JD.com investment is part of an 805 million yuan fundraising by Allianz China.
JD.com will partner with Allianz to develop a digital insurance joint venture in China, Reuters reported citing JD.com.
JD.com joins other Chinese tech giants including Alibaba Group Ltd. and Tencent Holdings Ltd in seeking expansion in China’s burgeoning internet finance market. Last year, JD.com spun off its finance arm into a separate company. The spinoff is part of efforts by Nasdaq-listed JD.com to make JD Finance fully owned by Chinese shareholders. This will make it easier to obtain certain financial service licenses in China such as for securities trading.
JD Finance offers small loans, wealth management and other financial services online. It had a valuation at 50 billion yuan in March 2017.
JD.com’s investment in Allianz China is subject to approval by the China Banking Regulatory Commission, Allianz China said in the filing.
Munich-based Allianz is the world's largest property and casualty insurer. The company operates several units in China offering life insurance, property insurance and wealth management services.
Established in 2003 in Guangzhou, Allianz China is the German insurer’s wholly owned property and casualty insurance subsidiary, with services including auto, property, liability and domestic credit insurance, as well as short-term health insurance and accident insurance for individual and corporate clients, according to the company website.
Contact reporter Han Wei (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jan 21 17:02
Jan 21 09:48
Jan 21 05:19
Jan 21 05:12
Jan 21 05:08
Jan 20 14:34
Jan 20 10:52
Jan 19 19:10
Jan 18 07:20
Jan 18 07:18
Jan 18 07:14
Jan 17 15:37
- 1Wuhan Virus Latest: First Case Confirmed in U.S. as Experts Warn of ‘Super-Spreader’
- 2Corrupt Chinese Official Pours Moutai Down the Drain
- 3How Did Two Women Drive a Luxury SUV Into the Forbidden City?
- 4Update: U.S. and China Sign Phase One Trade Deal
- 5JD.com Doubles Down on Smaller-Cities Expansion to Bolster 2020 Growth
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas