Services Growth Accelerates in April
Growth in China’s service activity picked up in April after hitting a four-month low in March as new business and employment expanded at a faster pace, a Caixin survey showed Friday.
The Caixin China General Services Business Activity Index, which tracks the country’s growing services sector, rose to 52.9 in April, up from 52.3 in March. A number above 50 indicates an expansion in activity, while a figure below that points to a contraction.
The new business and employment subindexes both rose, “indicating strengthening demand across the service sector after easing for two consecutive months,” said Zhong Zhengsheng, director of macroeconomic analysis with consultancy CEBM Group, a subsidiary of Caixin Insight Group.
Service providers reported stronger increases in sales last month due to improved market conditions, greater tourist numbers and new product offerings, said the index’s compiler.
The rise of the index, combined with the upbeat Caixin China General Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) released on Wednesday, drove the Caixin China Composite Output Index that covers both the manufacturing and services sectors up to 52.3 in April, also picking up from a four-month low of 51.8 in March.
The services sector includes finance, real estate services, marketing, transportation and retailing. Also known as the tertiary sector, it accounted for more than half of China’s gross domestic product over the past three years, according to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).
The official nonmanufacturing PMI released by the NBS, which covers services and construction industries, rose to 54.8 in April from 54.6 a month earlier. The rise was mainly driven by rapid expansion in the air transportation, express delivery and accommodation industries, according to the NBS.
Contact reporter Lin Jinbing (email@example.com)
Read more about Caixin’s economic indexes.
Sep 21 06:17
Sep 21 06:12
Sep 21 04:59
Sep 20 18:59
Sep 20 17:11
Sep 20 15:54
Sep 20 13:15
Sep 20 12:34
Sep 20 10:43
Sep 20 03:23
Sep 19 18:04
Sep 19 17:22
Sep 19 17:57
Sep 19 16:01
Sep 19 14:45
- 1Exclusive: Former Head of Citic Bank Is Under Investigation
- 2Update: China’s Economic Activity Slowed Further in August
- 3 Central Bank Bucks Expectation of Key Interest Rate Cut
- 4China’s 2015 Stock Crash Was ‘Inevitable,’ Former Securities Czar Says
- 5In Depth: Is China’s Animation Industry Ready to Take Off?
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas