Quick Take: Video App Douyin Rises to Top of Apple App Store
A Chinese short-video platform was the most downloaded non-game app on Apple’s App Store in the first quarter of this year, edging out big international names.
The app, known as Douyin in China and Tik Tok overseas, was downloaded 45.8 million times, according to market research company Sensor Tower, in a report released on May 1.
That means it beat other big-name apps such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, WeChat and WhatsApp, which were also in the top 10.
Duoyin belongs to Beijing Bytedance Technology Co. Ltd., the company behind China’s news aggregation platform Jinri Toutiao and two other short-video apps, Huoshan and Xigua.
Duoyin allows users to creatively edit videos by adding music and special effects.
China’s video-streaming industry generated 5.7 billion yuan ($895.6 million) in revenue last year, and the figure is expected to rise to 36 billion yuan over the next three years, according to industry consultancy iResearch.
Sensor Tower also said Chinese gaming and social media giant Tencent Holdings Ltd., which owns WeChat, had the top two game apps for both for Android and iOS.
PUBG Mobile was the world’s most-installed title in the free-app category, while Honor of Kings led in the paid-app category, the report said.
Contact reporter Jason Tan (email@example.com)
Nov 16 04:00
Nov 16 04:22
Nov 16 03:43
Nov 15 17:49
Nov 15 15:25
Nov 15 13:33
Nov 15 13:59
Nov 15 13:19
Nov 15 13:29
Nov 15 13:06
Nov 15 10:54
Nov 14 22:18
Nov 14 18:03
Nov 14 18:32
Nov 14 18:57
- 1China’s Manufacturing Sector Expands at Fastest Pace in Nearly Three Years, Caixin PMI Shows
- 2China Will Create ‘Space Economic Zone’ by Midcentury: Report
- 3Swiss Telecom CEO Explains Why He’s Sticking With Huawei
- 4China Revamps Undergraduate Studies, Tapping Controversial Talent Program
- 5Alibaba’s Sales Surge 40% and Profit Triples
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas