China Quarterly Box Office Tops North America for First Time
* Domestic movie theaters earn $3.14 billion at the box office in the first quarter
* China’s take for the period exceeds the North American box office total by 42%
(Beijing) — China’s film market has for the first time surpassed North America in quarterly box office revenue, raking in 20 billion yuan ($3.14 billion) from January to March.
The figure, according to domestic industry tracker Maoyan, was 42% higher than a $2.22-billion gross made by North American theaters during the same period, according to data from Box Office Mojo.
- 1Caixin View: China Feels Chill From Trouble in Turkey
- 285-Year-Old Petitioner, in Poor Health, Denied Parole
- 3Update: ‘First Fully Homegrown’ Browser Outed as Based on Google’s Chrome
- 4In Depth: HNA Charts New Course Back to Airline Basics
- 5Banned From Planes and Trains, Jia Yueting Hands Over U.S. Car Startup’s China Business
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas