Self-Driving Startup Roadstar.ai Nets Record $128 Million in Funding
Self-driving car specialist Roadstar.ai has raised $128 million, setting a single round private funding record among Chinese startups in the country’s emerging autonomous driving industry.
The series-A funding round was led by Shenzhen Capital Group and Wu Capital, and joined by Yunqi Partners, CMB International Securities, and Vision Plus Capital, the company said in a statement (link in Chinese) Wednesday.
The investment will be used to expand the company’s autonomous-vehicle fleet and improve security and data collection technology, said Roadstar.ai CEO Xianqiao Tong, according to Chinese tech news portal Leiphone.com.
The company will also seek to cooperate with other Chinese internet firms, such as online service platform Meituan Dianping, which recently rolled into the car-sharing business, Tong added.
Shenzhen-based Roadstar.ai was founded in 2017 by three Chinese engineers who had previously led autonomous-driving technologies at big companies such as Google and Tesla.
The move comes as investors are increasingly finding interest in and placing bets on the fledgling self-driving sector, where traditional carmakers, internet firms and startups have been vying to take an early lead.
Roadstar.ai is now competing with dozens of players including Baidu Corp. — the Internet search giant seen as the country’s leader in the self-driving space — and ride-hailing leader Didi Chuxing, which recently received permission to conduct public road tests in California.
Roadstar.ai’s latest funding amount exceeds that of Pony.ai, another self-driving car startup, which pocketed $112 million in its series-A round led by two venture firms, Morningside Venture Capital and Legend Capital.
Roadstar.ai focuses on “level 4” autonomous driving technologies, which, according to engineering standards organization SAE International, allow cars to drive autonomously without a driver and can stop themselves should the autonomous system fail.
Contact reporter Mo Yelin (email@example.com)
Jun 18 07:44 PM
Jun 18 07:26 PM
Jun 17 06:44 PM
Jun 17 06:34 PM
Jun 17 07:21 AM
Jun 15 08:10 PM
Jun 15 05:32 PM
Jun 11 08:09 PM
Jun 11 07:22 PM
Jun 11 07:19 PM
Jun 10 07:29 PM
Jun 10 07:23 PM
Jun 10 07:18 PM
Jun 10 07:15 PM
Jun 09 07:22 PM
- 1Cover Story: China Pushes Hydrogen Energy to Achieve Carbon Goals
- 2China’s Robust Oil Demand Recovery Underpinned by Gasoline Surge
- 3Huawei Quietly Powers Up Chipmaking Investments
- 4Exclusive: Embattled Huarong to Sell Multibillion-Dollar Assets as Rescue Plan Gets Underway
- 5Exclusive: Banks Prepare to Lower Deposit Rates as Rate Cap Reform Takes Effect
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas