Quick Take: Tencent, J.J. Abrams in Gaming Partnership
Bad Robot, the media vehicle of Hollywood producer, director and writer J.J. Abrams, said it has entered a strategic partnership with Chinese internet giant Tencent Holdings Ltd. to create games spanning mobile, PC and console formats.
Abrams, whose 2015 “Star Wars” film “The Force Awakens” and science fiction TV show “Westworld” are well known among young Chinese, formed Bad Robot in 2001, and the company has found success in science fiction novels.
The new project, called Bad Robot Games, will also have the support of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment as a minority investor. It aims to focus on developing narrative-led games, “leveraging its world-building and storytelling expertise,” the company said in a statement.
Tencent, the company behind the massively popular WeChat messaging and social media app, operates the world’s largest games business by revenue thanks to its dominance in the China market, which generated an estimated $32.5 billion in sales last year, according to data from consultancy Newzoo.
In recent years it has also become a major outbound gaming investor, participating in over $4 of every $10 invested in gaming companies globally in the 12 months ending March 31, according to an industry report from Digi-Capital.
Its biggest investment was in in Finnish mobile game developer Supercell Oy, in which it bought a $8.6 billion controlling stake in June 2016. The company, well-known for its smash-hit “Clash of Clans,” had over 100 million active users across its platforms, Reuters reported in February.
The Bad Robot Games investment continues the growth in Tencent’s international presence following its 369 million euro ($434 million) investment for 5% of French gaming giant Ubisoft Entertainment SA in March. As part of that tie-up, the pair also announced a partnership that will see Tencent bring several of Ubisoft’s PC and mobile games to China.
Contact reporter Ke Dawei (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nov 11 19:35
Nov 11 16:16
Nov 11 16:37
Nov 11 16:54
Nov 11 13:23
Nov 11 13:00
Nov 11 11:14
Nov 11 11:32
Nov 11 10:50
Nov 09 18:21
Nov 09 01:30
Nov 09 01:18
Nov 08 17:43
- 1China’s Manufacturing Sector Expands at Fastest Pace in Nearly Three Years, Caixin PMI Shows
- 2China Will Create ‘Space Economic Zone’ by Midcentury: Report
- 3Swiss Telecom CEO Explains Why He’s Sticking With Huawei
- 4China Revamps Undergraduate Studies, Tapping Controversial Talent Program
- 5Alibaba’s Sales Surge 40% and Profit Triples
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas