China Railway Corp., SF Express Team Up on Delivery Venture
China Railway Corp. (CRC) has formed a cargo venture with delivery company SF Express Co. Ltd. — the Chinese state rail operator’s latest effort to attract private capital to boost its competitiveness.
The Shenzhen-based venture, of which the state-owned railway operator will own 55% while SF Express will own the rest, will involve businesses that include cargo services by high-speed rail, as well as product research and design, CRC said in a statement (link in Chinese) on Wednesday.
“The establishment of the new company is one of the important achievements after CRC accelerated the ‘mixed ownership’ reform and took steps to optimize the cargo business,” CRC said in the statement, citing a company executive.
The move comes three months after CRC sold about half of its stake in its Wi-Fi unit to two private companies — automaker Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co. Ltd. and social media giant Tencent Holdings Ltd. — for 4.3 billion yuan ($631 million). Earlier this month, the Wi-Fi company launched an open tender for the installation of Wi-Fi equipment sets on some of the CRC’s select bullet trains, the first time that the rail operator has opened such a bid to a third party.
The cooperation with SF Express — the country’s largest private courier — also highlights CRC’s effort to boost its freight volume amid massive debt accumulated after years of expansion. As of late last year, China has installed a total 127,000 kilometers (78,900 miles) of railway tracks, with high-speed lines accounting for 20%. CRC’s total debt stood at 5 trillion yuan as of March, according to official figures.
In July, CRC said it aimed to increase its annual freight volume to nearly 5 billion metric tons (5.51 billion U.S. tons) by 2020, an increase of 30% from last year’s figure.
Currently, deliveries in China are mainly handled through trucks, with railways accounting for less than 10% of the market volume.
Contact reporter Mo Yelin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mar 30 17:37
Mar 30 15:43
Mar 30 12:54
Mar 30 10:06
Mar 27 18:54
Mar 27 18:41
Mar 27 10:56
Mar 26 16:01
Mar 26 14:54
Mar 25 22:17
Mar 25 17:57
Mar 25 15:12
Mar 25 12:53
Mar 25 10:26
Mar 24 16:52
- 1Wuhan Reports First New Covid-19 Case in Five Days
- 2China Meat Markets Offer Preview for Rest of World, Cargill Says
- 3Coronavirus Live Updates (Thursday): G-20 Commits to $5 Trillion Injection; U.S. Jobless Claims Hit Record; Global Caseload Tops 500,000
- 4Coronavirus Live Updates (Wednesday): Global Death Toll Tops 20,000; American Caseload Exceeds 60,000
- 5Coronavirus Live Updates (Tuesday): America Could Be Next Epicenter; India Imposes 21-Day Lockdown
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas