What Economic Slowdown? China Tourism Up 9% During Oct. 1 ‘Golden Week’
Chinese travelers made 726 million trips during the weeklong National Day Holiday that ended Sunday, up 9.43% from a year before, as a slowing economy failed to dent demand for travel by the nation’s new middle class, according to the Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
The Oct. 1 break is one of two weeklong national holidays in China, the longest period for regular office workers to hit the road to visit new places. People traditionally spend the other long holiday, the Lunar New Year in January or February, for family gatherings.
The growing number of tourists helped travel sites to make nearly 600 billion yuan ($87.3 billion) during the holiday, up 9.04% from a year before, the official data showed.
For travel outside China: Japan and Thailand were originally forecast as the top destinations for Chinese tourists during the holiday, according to leading online travel agent Ctrip. But Thailand ultimately overtook Japan, as two powerful typhoons hit the East Asian country around that period.
Apart from traditionally popular tourist activities such as shopping, Chinese travelers overseas have become increasingly fond of more-adventurous and cultural experiences, such as hot-air ballooning, diving and visiting museums, Ctrip said, based on users’ reservations made on its website.
Contact reporter Coco Feng (email@example.com)
Aug 17 05:58
Aug 17 04:13
Aug 16 20:48
Aug 16 18:19
Aug 16 16:10
Aug 16 15:19
Aug 16 15:07
Aug 16 15:35
Aug 16 12:23
Aug 16 10:44
Aug 16 03:04
Aug 16 03:39
Aug 16 02:05
Aug 16 02:36
Aug 15 15:10
- 1Praise for JD and Huya, Less Excitement for Tencent Music and DouYu as ‘Team Tencent’ Reports
- 2Casino Giant Galaxy Entertainment’s H1 Profit Drops 7% as High-Rollers Stay Away
- 3TCL to Unveil Own Smart Screen This Week, Sources Say
- 4CX Daily: Hong Kong Cuts GDP Growth Forecast, Announces Stimulus Amid Unrest
- 5Does China Care About Climate Change?
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas