Chart of the Day: The Growth of China’s Confucius Institutes
Though at times controversial, China’s Confucius Institute program is growing apace. By the end of last year, 525 Confucius Institutes and 1,113 Confucius Classrooms had been established in 138 countries and regions in the 14 years since the first was opened in Seoul, South Korea.
According to China’s Confucius Institute Headquarters, Europe had most centers with 173 Confucius Institutes across 41 countries by the end of 2017, followed by the Americas with 161 Confucius Institutes in 21 countries. The centers promote Chinese language and culture and are often nested at existing universities and schools.
The number of institutes has risen almost 90-fold since 2004, with the rate of growth slowing slightly in the past eleven years after an initial three years of breakneck expansion.
A number of the centers have been shuttered in the U.S. amid fears about Chinese government influence on campuses, but many more are to be established in other regions, including in the African nations of Guinea, Congo, Gambia and Gabon where there were previously none.
The Confucius Institute program is affiliated with China’s Ministry of Education.
Contact reporter Gao Baiyu(firstname.lastname@example.org)
Aug 12 19:45
Aug 12 19:36
Aug 12 16:56
Aug 12 16:40
Aug 12 12:53
Aug 12 11:42
Aug 11 17:16
Aug 11 17:14
Aug 11 16:53
Aug 11 13:02
Aug 10 21:04
Aug 10 18:22
Aug 10 18:12
Aug 10 17:27
Aug 10 14:42
- 1China and Russia Ditch Dollar in Move Toward ‘Financial Alliance’
- 2TikTok Shifts Global Operations Base to Europe
- 3Update: Huawei Says Supply of Flagship Chipsets to End Under U.S. Sanctions
- 4Update: Chinese Exports Expand by Fastest Rate in Seven Months, Imports Return to Decline
- 5China Allows Baoshang Bank to Go Bankrupt in Final Cleanup
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas