Chart of the Day: The Growth of China’s Confucius Institutes
Though at times controversial, China’s Confucius Institute program is growing apace. By the end of last year, 525 Confucius Institutes and 1,113 Confucius Classrooms had been established in 138 countries and regions in the 14 years since the first was opened in Seoul, South Korea.
According to China’s Confucius Institute Headquarters, Europe had most centers with 173 Confucius Institutes across 41 countries by the end of 2017, followed by the Americas with 161 Confucius Institutes in 21 countries. The centers promote Chinese language and culture and are often nested at existing universities and schools.
The number of institutes has risen almost 90-fold since 2004, with the rate of growth slowing slightly in the past eleven years after an initial three years of breakneck expansion.
A number of the centers have been shuttered in the U.S. amid fears about Chinese government influence on campuses, but many more are to be established in other regions, including in the African nations of Guinea, Congo, Gambia and Gabon where there were previously none.
The Confucius Institute program is affiliated with China’s Ministry of Education.
Contact reporter Gao Baiyu(firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nov 12 17:25
Nov 12 16:38
Nov 12 13:15
Nov 12 12:44
Nov 12 12:18
Nov 12 12:11
Nov 12 10:55
Nov 12 06:09
Nov 12 05:31
Nov 11 19:35
Nov 11 16:16
- 1China’s Manufacturing Sector Expands at Fastest Pace in Nearly Three Years, Caixin PMI Shows
- 2China Will Create ‘Space Economic Zone’ by Midcentury: Report
- 3Swiss Telecom CEO Explains Why He’s Sticking With Huawei
- 4China Revamps Undergraduate Studies, Tapping Controversial Talent Program
- 5Alibaba’s Sales Surge 40% and Profit Triples
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas