Chart: Legislators’ Disapproval of Supreme Court Work Report Grows Slightly
At the closing of the annual “Two Sessions” in Beijing, delegates to the National People’s Congress (NPC) — the country’s top legislature — voted to approve the annual work reports of the Supreme People’s Court and the Supreme People’s Procuratorate.
This year, more delegates voted against the Supreme Court’s report, with the approval rate dropping to 92.44%, down 2.29 percentage points from a record high last year. The prosecutor’s report was approved overwhelmingly with 96.44% of delegates voting in favor, an increase of 2.55 percentage points from 2018 and a new high. Approval for the prosecutor’s report was 4 percentage points higher than approval for the court’s report.
Of the NPC’s 2,948 delegates, 2,725 voted in favor of the Supreme People’s Court’s annual work report, 156 voted against and 67 abstained. For the Supreme People’s Procuratorate’s report, 2843 voted in favor, 71 voted against, and 31 abstained, with three members failing to cast a vote.
The changes in the disapproval rate for the top court and procuratorate’s reports have been widely watched.
In recent years, the disapproval rate reached a high in 2013, when more than 600 “no” votes were cast against the Supreme People’s Court’s report. The approval rate has been improving since then, as a wide-ranging campaign to crack down on corruption took off that year. The crackdown has seen a growing number of high-level officials being put under investigation for corruption.
- 1U.S. Restrictions on Chip Software Exports Could Bite in the Long Term, Analysts Say
- 2China’s Youth Unemployment Rate Rises to Another Record
- 3Cover Story: The Challenges Ahead for China’s Digital Yuan
- 4Weekend Long Read: What Challenges Await Singapore’s New Leadership
- 5China’s Housing Market Weakens Further Amid Shaken Confidence
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas