Caixin
Jan 21, 2021 05:55 PM
WORLD

China Bans Mike Pompeo, Other Trump Officials Over ‘Crazy Actions’

What’s new: China on Wednesday slapped sanctions on 28 American officials after President Joe Biden’s inauguration, over “crazy actions that have gravely interfered in China’s internal affairs,” a foreign ministry spokesperson said in a statement.

The sanctioned members of former President Donald Trump’s administration include former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, former national security advisor Robert O’Brien, former trade advisor Peter Navarro, assistant secretary for East Asian and Pacific affairs David Stilwell, health secretary Alex Azar and UN envoy Kelly Craft.

“These individuals and their immediate family members are prohibited from entering the mainland of China, Hong Kong and Macao. They and companies and institutions associated with them are also restricted from doing business with China,” the ministry said.

The background: The sanctions came after the Trump administration’s recent move to lift restrictions on how U.S. officials interact with Taiwan and impose sanctions on six Hong Kong and Chinese mainland officials.

The Sino-U.S. relationship is at its lowest point in decades. The two countries have imposed tit-for-tat sanctions on each other, with spiraling conflicts ranging from trade and technology to human rights.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying previously said at a daily brief that the Trump administration was “pressing the accelerator to trash China-U.S. relations.”

Quick Takes are condensed versions of China-related stories for fast news you can use.

Contact reporter Lu Zhenhua (zhenhualu@caixin.com) and editor Heather Mowbray (heathermowbray@caixin.com)

You've accessed an article available only to subscribers
VIEW OPTIONS
Share this article
Open WeChat and scan the QR code