Ministry Launches Six-Month Campaign to Clean Up Internet Platforms
What’s new: China’s government said on Monday that it had launched a six-month special rectification campaign for the internet industry, as it continues to crack down on online platforms.
The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said in an online statement (link in Chinese) that the campaign would target eight areas including disturbing market order, violating users’ rights and interests, and endangering data security.
Authorities will clamp down on 22 “specific scenarios” such as disrupting the operations of rival companies, using misleading pop-ups, improper collection of personal data and breaches of internet access rules, according to the statement.
The campaign was formally launched on Friday, the statement said. It added that companies will be required to undergo “self-rectification” to ensure they meet their obligations.
The background: The announcement represents the latest salvo in China’s wide-ranging efforts to rein in internet platforms, which began in earnest with the scuttling of Ant Group Co. Ltd.’s huge initial public offering in November.
Since then, Beijing has also fined e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. for monopolistic behavior, launched an investigation into ride-hailing titan Didi Chuxing days after the company listed in New York, and targeted a litany of other major tech firms.
Contact reporter Matthew Walsh (firstname.lastname@example.org) and editor Joshua Dummer (email@example.com)
Download our app to receive breaking news alerts and read the news on the go.
Follow the Chinese markets in real time with Caixin Global’s new stock database.
Get our weekly free Must-Read newsletter.
- MOST POPULAR