Microlenders Choose Flight Over Fight
As stringent rules sweep the microloan sector in China, flight is the only option for some lenders.
Even before Dec. 1, when China’s central bank and banking regulator unveiled a slew of new policies to curb the explosive growth of unsecured, small short-term loans, some listed companies had already shelved their plans to expand into microloans. After the tighter rules became official, existing lenders are weighing a shift to other businesses such as installment payment and supply-chain financing. Meanwhile, a collection agency said it has received a lot more requests to pursue debts and at higher prices, suggesting some microlenders might be wrapping up ahead of an eventual exit.
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas