Quick Take: Alibaba Boosts Hardware Capabilities With Chip Purchase
Chinese internet titan Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. has acquired Hangzhou-based chipmaker C-Sky Microsystems Co. Ltd. in an effort to increase its chipmaking capabilities as it branches into high-tech hardware.
“The acquisition is an important step for Alibaba's chip development,” said Zhang Jianfeng, Alibaba chief technology officer, in an announcement that didn’t provide the value of the deal.
The news comes amid a national call for China to ramp up its self-reliance in key technologies, such as semiconductors, following a U.S. decision this week to ban domestic companies from selling components to telecom equipment-maker ZTE Corp. That decision came after ZTE failed to comply with some terms of a settlement agreement with Washington involving ZTE’s sale of U.S.-made high-tech equipment to Iran in violation of American sanctions at the time.
Founded in 2001, C-Sky Microsystems develops embedded central processing units (CPUs) and chip architectures. The firm said it is the only embedded CPU volume provider in China with its own instruction set architecture.
C-Sky Microsystems is among a group of Chinese startups aiming to break into the sector for high-tech chip design, which is now mainly dominated by big global names such as Intel Corp. and Qualcomm Inc.
Alibaba, which plans to invest heavily in research and development, now holds stakes in domestic chipmakers including Cambricon, Barefoot Networks and Kneron. In October, it launched an initiative called DAMO Academy, a research and development project that will see it invest $15 billion over the next five years and open technology labs across the globe.
On Thursday, DAMO Academy said it is developing a neural network chip, dubbed Ali-NPU, which will be used in image analysis, machine learning and other artificial intelligence reasoning capabilities.
Contact reporter Mo Yelin (email@example.com)
May 29 18:23
May 29 18:04
May 29 12:40
May 28 16:02
May 28 12:52
May 28 09:10
May 27 16:43
May 27 13:27
May 27 12:54
May 26 17:38
May 26 17:03
May 26 12:26
May 26 10:44
May 26 03:26
May 25 17:58
- 1China’s ‘Bat Woman’ Warns Coronavirus Is ‘Just Tip of the Iceberg’
- 2Update: Mass Testing in Wuhan Uncovers Over 200 Asymptomatic Covid-19 Cases
- 3Washington Pressures China to Let U.S. Airlines Come Back
- 4China Announces $14 Billion for Intercity, High-Speed Rail Projects
- 5In Depth: Huawei’s Chip Dreams in Crosshairs of Latest U.S. Assault
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas