Quick Take: Alibaba Boosts Hardware Capabilities With Chip Purchase
Chinese internet titan Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. has acquired Hangzhou-based chipmaker C-Sky Microsystems Co. Ltd. in an effort to increase its chipmaking capabilities as it branches into high-tech hardware.
“The acquisition is an important step for Alibaba's chip development,” said Zhang Jianfeng, Alibaba chief technology officer, in an announcement that didn’t provide the value of the deal.
The news comes amid a national call for China to ramp up its self-reliance in key technologies, such as semiconductors, following a U.S. decision this week to ban domestic companies from selling components to telecom equipment-maker ZTE Corp. That decision came after ZTE failed to comply with some terms of a settlement agreement with Washington involving ZTE’s sale of U.S.-made high-tech equipment to Iran in violation of American sanctions at the time.
Founded in 2001, C-Sky Microsystems develops embedded central processing units (CPUs) and chip architectures. The firm said it is the only embedded CPU volume provider in China with its own instruction set architecture.
C-Sky Microsystems is among a group of Chinese startups aiming to break into the sector for high-tech chip design, which is now mainly dominated by big global names such as Intel Corp. and Qualcomm Inc.
Alibaba, which plans to invest heavily in research and development, now holds stakes in domestic chipmakers including Cambricon, Barefoot Networks and Kneron. In October, it launched an initiative called DAMO Academy, a research and development project that will see it invest $15 billion over the next five years and open technology labs across the globe.
On Thursday, DAMO Academy said it is developing a neural network chip, dubbed Ali-NPU, which will be used in image analysis, machine learning and other artificial intelligence reasoning capabilities.
Contact reporter Mo Yelin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nov 14 22:18
Nov 14 18:03
Nov 14 18:32
Nov 14 18:57
Nov 14 15:41
Nov 14 13:12
Nov 14 13:27
Nov 14 12:33
Nov 14 12:37
Nov 14 12:53
Nov 14 10:32
Nov 13 23:24
Nov 13 20:13
Nov 13 19:50
Nov 13 18:27
- 1China’s Manufacturing Sector Expands at Fastest Pace in Nearly Three Years, Caixin PMI Shows
- 2China Will Create ‘Space Economic Zone’ by Midcentury: Report
- 3Swiss Telecom CEO Explains Why He’s Sticking With Huawei
- 4China Revamps Undergraduate Studies, Tapping Controversial Talent Program
- 5Alibaba’s Sales Surge 40% and Profit Triples
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas