Didi Drives Down Under
Didi Chuxing is making inroads into Australia by debuting its own brand service, marking its second move overseas in two months.
Dubbed DiDi Express, the app will be available from June 25 in Melbourne, capital of the state of Victoria with a population of 4.5 million. Didi has begun its hiring of local drivers early this month, it said in a statement on Friday.
This was followed by a pilot project last month in Geelong, a port city about 40 miles west of Melbourne.
Didi said it wants to contribute to the growth of Australia as a long-term investor and business partner, offering “affordable, reliable and convenient mobility options and income-generating opportunities,” the statement said.
Australia is the latest dot on the Chinese giant’s global expansion map. In April, it introduced a local app bearing its own brand in Mexico, its first overseas destination.
Didi has also partnered with or invested in seven other ride-hailing peers abroad. These include Brazilian’s 99, Southeast Asia’s Grab, India’s Ola, Careem in the Middle East and Lyft in the U.S.
The Australian launch will put its operational capability to the test in a developed country for the first time, pitting it again against California-based rival Uber Technologies Inc.
Founded in 2012, Didi became the titan in China after taking over Uber’s local unit in 2016. The company was valued at $56 billion after it raised $4 billion in its latest fundraising round in December, which involved Japanese investment titan SoftBank Group Corp.
Didi’s expansion comes at a sensitive time as it recently caused a public uproar in China, following the killing of a female passenger using its car-pooling service last month.
In Australia, Didi said it will introduce safety measures including rigorous driver-vetting mechanisms and other safety features, such as emergency phone support and itinerary sharing.
Contact reporter Mo Yelin (email@example.com)
Nov 16 04:00
Nov 16 04:22
Nov 16 03:43
Nov 15 17:49
Nov 15 15:25
Nov 15 13:33
Nov 15 13:59
Nov 15 13:19
Nov 15 13:29
Nov 15 13:06
Nov 15 10:54
Nov 14 22:18
Nov 14 18:03
Nov 14 18:32
Nov 14 18:57
- 1China’s Manufacturing Sector Expands at Fastest Pace in Nearly Three Years, Caixin PMI Shows
- 2China Will Create ‘Space Economic Zone’ by Midcentury: Report
- 3Swiss Telecom CEO Explains Why He’s Sticking With Huawei
- 4China Revamps Undergraduate Studies, Tapping Controversial Talent Program
- 5Alibaba’s Sales Surge 40% and Profit Triples
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas