Didi Drives Down Under
Didi Chuxing is making inroads into Australia by debuting its own brand service, marking its second move overseas in two months.
Dubbed DiDi Express, the app will be available from June 25 in Melbourne, capital of the state of Victoria with a population of 4.5 million. Didi has begun its hiring of local drivers early this month, it said in a statement on Friday.
This was followed by a pilot project last month in Geelong, a port city about 40 miles west of Melbourne.
Didi said it wants to contribute to the growth of Australia as a long-term investor and business partner, offering “affordable, reliable and convenient mobility options and income-generating opportunities,” the statement said.
Australia is the latest dot on the Chinese giant’s global expansion map. In April, it introduced a local app bearing its own brand in Mexico, its first overseas destination.
Didi has also partnered with or invested in seven other ride-hailing peers abroad. These include Brazilian’s 99, Southeast Asia’s Grab, India’s Ola, Careem in the Middle East and Lyft in the U.S.
The Australian launch will put its operational capability to the test in a developed country for the first time, pitting it again against California-based rival Uber Technologies Inc.
Founded in 2012, Didi became the titan in China after taking over Uber’s local unit in 2016. The company was valued at $56 billion after it raised $4 billion in its latest fundraising round in December, which involved Japanese investment titan SoftBank Group Corp.
Didi’s expansion comes at a sensitive time as it recently caused a public uproar in China, following the killing of a female passenger using its car-pooling service last month.
In Australia, Didi said it will introduce safety measures including rigorous driver-vetting mechanisms and other safety features, such as emergency phone support and itinerary sharing.
Contact reporter Mo Yelin (email@example.com)
Jun 11 08:09 PM
Jun 11 07:22 PM
Jun 11 07:19 PM
Jun 10 07:29 PM
Jun 10 07:23 PM
Jun 10 07:18 PM
Jun 10 07:15 PM
Jun 09 07:22 PM
Jun 09 07:18 PM
Jun 09 07:15 PM
Jun 09 07:13 PM
Jun 08 07:37 PM
Jun 08 07:06 PM
Jun 08 07:02 PM
Jun 07 07:38 PM
- 1China Moves to Take Collection of Land Sales Income Out of Local Government Hands
- 2Cover Story: Guangzhou’s Battle Against a Potent Virus Variant
- 3PBOC Considers First Applications for New Financial Holding Company License
- 4Trailing Rivals, Tencent Short-Video App Pivots to Movies and TV
- 5Huawei Makes HarmonyOS Open Source to Boost It as Android Alternative
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas