Chart of the Day: Chinese Electricity Consumption Growth Hits 6-Year High
China’s electricity consumption surged to 6.84 trillion kilowatt-hours (kWh) in 2018, up 8.5% year-on-year, according to data released by the China Electricity Council (CEC) on Tuesday (link in Chinese). The growth rate for 2018 was 1.9 percentage points higher than in 2017 and marked the highest level since 2012.
The growth momentum of electricity consumption diverged from China’s economic slowdown, which saw the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) fall to 6.6% in 2018, down 0.2 percentage points from 2017, marking the slowest annual expansion since 1990, according to official data.
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas