Chart of the Day: Excavator Sales Surge Hints at Rising Infrastructure Investment
A total of 18,745 excavators were sold in China last month, more than in any February since 2011, which analysts argue is likely driven by increasing infrastructure investment.
Last month’s figure was up 68.7% from a year earlier, according to data released by the China Construction Machinery Association. Breaking down the increase, domestic sales were up 77.7% to 17,286, and exports were up 5.2% to 1,459.
Accelerating infrastructure construction likely contributed to expanding demand for excavators, which could bolster the overall investment sector in the first quarter or even first half of 2019, according to a report by CEBM Group, a subsidiary of Caixin Insight Group, on Wednesday.
Last year’s low comparison base, machinery upgrading and businesses preparing for the peak sales season in March also boosted February sales this year, the report said.
China’s policymakers are hoping an uptick in infrastructure investment can bolster the country’s slowing economy. The country’s local governments started infrastructure borrowing in January, months ahead of the normal schedule, as part of the central government’s initiative to boost investment. Last week, Premier Li Keqiang said around 2.15 trillion yuan ($320 billion) worth of local government special-purpose bonds will be issued this year to support financing for infrastructure projects, up from last year’s 1.35 trillion yuan.
Contact reporter Liu Jiefei (email@example.com)
Mar 22 19:22
Mar 22 18:30
Mar 22 18:32
Mar 22 17:54
Mar 22 15:06
Mar 22 12:45
Mar 22 00:02
Mar 21 17:12
Mar 21 17:16
Mar 21 16:52
Mar 21 15:49
Mar 20 19:25
Mar 20 18:20
Mar 20 17:07
Mar 20 16:06
- 1China Became Net Importer of Rare Earths in 2018
- 2Popular WeChat Account Valued at 2 Billion Yuan Snapped Up By Education Firm
- 3China Securities Regulator Sets Out Ambitious 2019 Work Plan
- 4Update: It’s Banks’ Turn for the Hot Seat of Supply-Side Reform
- 5Analysts Butt Heads Over Outlook of China’s Surging Stock Market
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas