On Tuesday, Tesla’s Chinese rival Nio released the investigation result of its electric vehicle that caught fire last week.
According to Nio, the fire was caused by battery short circuiting. The company said the vehicle’s chassis – where the battery was placed – had some “severe clash” before the fire, and some components that were deformed. The damaged components finally led to the circuiting and the vehicle's self-ignition.
On April 22, a parked Nio ES8 model caught fire after having maintenance services in an authorized Nio services shop in Xi’an. In the Tuesday statement, Nio said maintenance services the vehicle had in the shop did not include chassis.
Related: EV Explosions Spark Safety Concerns