China Rewards Panama With Trade, Investment Deals
President Xi Jinping signed a raft of agreements with Panamanian counterpart Juan Carlos Varela on Monday, increasing China’s influence in a region the U.S. considers its own backyard.
The two leaders announced during a televised address (video in Spanish) that they signed 19 agreements, including an extradition treaty, an arrangement for nonspecified Chinese aid for projects in the country, as well as deals on trade, infrastructure, banking and tourism, details of which have yet to be published.
- 1In Depth: Tesla Charges Into China
- 2China Biz Roundup Podcast: Factory Inflation Stalls, iPhone Discounts, and Private Kindergarten Closures
- 3Update: China’s New Credit Growth Hits Record High
- 4 Operators of ‘Underground Banks’ Which Move Cash Out of China to Face Jail
- 5China Suspends Registration of Direct Selling Firms
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas