Genome Sequencing Giant BGI's Fundraising Flops
Chinese genomics giant BGI Group has secured $200 million in fundraising for its gene-sequencing equipment unit, one-fifth of the expected amount owing to investors’ concerns about sluggish sales of its DNA-sequencing machines, market observers said.
MGI Tech Co. Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of BGI, announced Thursday it obtained the funding from investors including Citic Goldstone Fund Management, Orient Securities Capital Investment and Green Pine Capital Partners. MGI didn’t disclose its valuation.
MGI was expected to raise as much as $1 billion or dispose of a 20% stake for funds ahead of a planned initial public offering (IPO), several private fund sources told Caixin earlier.
One source told Caixin this week that most of MGI’s clients have either been BGI’s affiliates or third-party gene companies backed by BGI. Those companies are contractually required to buy its DNA-sequencing machines. The source asked not to be identified as the information is private.
"BGI Genomics Co. Ltd., the listed arm of BGI Group, purchased 470 million yuan ($69 million) in assets from MGI Tech last year, including DNA sequencers, components and maintenance fees, according to a document released March by BGI's IPO sponsor, Citic Securities."
“BGI is selling the products in its internal side, while the market hasn’t recognized its products yet,” said another private fund source who asked to remain anonymous.
MGI Tech said it has 1,100 gene sequencing machines installed globally, commanding a 30% share in China. The sales, however, lagged far behind its larger international rival, U.S.-based Illumina Inc., which boasted 11,000 gene sequencing machines installed across the globe as of the end of 2018.
In addition, a slew of latecomers to the Chinese market are racing to shave market share off of BGI, which is China’s largest genomics company.
Direct Genomics rolled out its third generation DNA sequencer GenoCare in 2017, which was developed by a research team lead by controversial researcher He Jiankui.
Contact reporter Tang Ziyi (email@example.com)
May 25 18:53
May 25 00:48
May 24 22:24
May 24 18:31
May 24 16:37
May 24 16:03
May 24 15:54
May 24 14:18
May 24 13:52
May 24 11:43
May 24 02:36
May 24 02:29
May 24 02:51
May 23 19:33
May 23 18:53
- 1Chinese DNA Sequencing Firm BGI Faces Legal Battle with Illumina
- 2Former Chief Securities Regulator Put Under Investigation
- 3Exclusive: Saudi Oil Colossus Wants to Shift Its China Business Downstream
- 4New Credit Bureau Finds Good Data Is Hard to Come By
- 5Central Bank Reveals First Step to Unifying Benchmark, Market Rates
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas