Didi and BYD’s 3-Year-Old Car Rental Tie-Up Hasn’t Made Any Money
A joint venture of ride-hailing giant Didi Chuxing and electric-car maker BYD Co. Ltd. has not turned a profit in its first three years in business.
Shenzhen Didi New Energy Vehicle Rental Co. Ltd. was formed in 2015, with Didi holding a 60% stake and BYD taking the remaining 40%. Through 2018, however, the venture had yet to make it into the black. That year, it reported a net loss of 35 million yuan ($5 million) on revenue of 939 million yuan, Shenzhen-listed BYD said in a notice (link in Chinese) to the Shenzhen Stock Exchange.
Didi New Energy Vehicle was created to supply rental cars to drivers of ride-hailing platforms like Didi, the dominant player in the sector with more than 80% of China’s market share. The venture’s fleet consists entirely of electric vehicles, the majority of which were made by BYD, though some were manufactured by other automakers, like BAIC Motor Corp. Ltd. and Geely Automobile Holdings Ltd.
In the notice, BYD explained that Didi New Energy Vehicle hadn’t made a profit because it was still in a period of rapid expansion. Since August, Didi New Energy Vehicle has been renting out cars at below-market prices to win customers, which has increased its costs, according to a source familiar with the venture’s operations.
BYD and Didi Chuxing teamed up as the auto industry began to shift toward the pay-per-use model embodied by ride-hailing. Automakers, which had been reluctant to work with ride-hailing platforms like Didi, grew more open to such partnerships as they began to recognize the threat that ride-hailing posed to car ownership.
BYD is one of 31 automakers that signed a deal with Didi to form an “auto alliance” in April 2018. Under the deal, Didi promised to purchase cars from the automakers to expand its fleet in exchange for a vow to stay out of car manufacturing.
Contact reporter Mo Yelin (email@example.com)
May 25 18:53
May 25 00:48
May 24 22:24
May 24 18:31
May 24 16:37
May 24 16:03
May 24 15:54
May 24 14:18
May 24 13:52
May 24 11:43
May 24 02:36
May 24 02:29
May 24 02:51
May 23 19:33
May 23 18:53
- 1Chinese DNA Sequencing Firm BGI Faces Legal Battle with Illumina
- 2Former Chief Securities Regulator Put Under Investigation
- 3Exclusive: Saudi Oil Colossus Wants to Shift Its China Business Downstream
- 4New Credit Bureau Finds Good Data Is Hard to Come By
- 5Central Bank Reveals First Step to Unifying Benchmark, Market Rates
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas