- Sep 26, 2019 16:34 PM
- Gallery: Beijing’s Giant New Airport
- The 80 billion yuan ($11.31 billion) Daxing International Airport, which held its opening ceremony Wednesday, was built to shoulder part of the capital’s increasing air traffic, which is expected to reach 140 million annual passengers by next year. Daxing airport is expected to be able to handle 45 million passengers a year in 2022 and 72 million in 2025.
- Sep 17, 2019 18:40 PM
- Gallery: Catching the River’s Waves
- The Qiantang River estuary, which flows into the East China Sea near Hangzhou, is known for the enormous “tidal bore” waves that rush in from the Bay of Hangzhou. The phenomenon is especially strong around the Mid-Autumn Festival
- Sep 12, 2019 18:02 PM
- Gallery: Kuala Lumpur Shutters Schools as Smog Strikes
- Malaysia closed more than 400 schools Tuesday, citing unhealthy air quality as smoke and ash from raging forest fires in Indonesia spread to more areas in countries from Thailand to the Philippines.
- Aug 28, 2019 12:50 PM
- Gallery: Frenzied Scenes as Costco Shoppers Elbow and Kick Their Way to Savings
- The U.S. wholesale giant was forced to suspend business at its first mainland store in Shanghai just hours into its first day of trading on Tuesday, after bargain-hunters created chaos, pushing and shoving their way through the store in search of the best deals.
- Aug 23, 2019 17:37 PM
- Gallery: Ten Killed, Dozens Missing in Sichuan Flooding
- Ten people were killed and 27 are missing after flooding and mudslides on Tuesday hit the Ngawa Tibetan and Qiang autonomous prefecture, where the Wenchuan earthquake killed tens of thousands of people a decade ago.
- Aug 22, 2019 17:10 PM
- Gallery: Sea Rescue
- A fishing ship sinks into the water Thursday near Zhoushan, East China’s Zhejiang province, after it struck a landmass at sea. All 13 people on board were rescued.
- Aug 21, 2019 17:23 PM
- Gallery: Robots That Swim, Fly and Play the Piano
- The 2019 World Robot Conference kicked off Tuesday in Beijing, featuring robots from more than 20 countries. The event will run for six days and is expected to draw visitors from around the world.
- Aug 20, 2019 18:02 PM
- Gallery: Cooling Off in a Crowd
- When the heat of summer becomes too much to bear, water often seems like a good option. But in China, pools and rivers get crowded fast
- Aug 16, 2019 19:14 PM
- Gallery: Falling From the Clouds
- The 8th Shenyang Faku International Flight Convention kicks off Friday in Faku county in Northeast China’s Liaoning province, where more than 600 aircraft will be on display during the three-day event
- Aug 15, 2019 16:22 PM
- Gallery: Reeling In Illegal Fishing
- Local officials in Suqian, which borders the fish-rich Luoma Lake, have confiscated numerous illegal devices from local fishermen in the Jiangsu province city as part of efforts to protect the environment.
- Aug 13, 2019 16:31 PM
- Gallery: Destructive Typhoon Lekima Moves On to Shandong
- Typhoon Lekima has left at least five dead and seven missing in East China’s Shandong province. It arrived at the coastal province on Sunday evening.
- Aug 12, 2019 16:58 PM
- Gallery: China’s Typhoon-Ravaged Coast
- Typhoon Lekima has left at least 39 people dead and nine missing in East China’s densely populated Zhejiang province as of Monday afternoon, state broadcaster China Central Television reported. The typhoon made landfall on Saturday.
- Aug 09, 2019 17:37 PM
- Gallery: Typhoon Lekima Bears Down on Mainland
- With winds faster than 51 mph, or 82 kph, Typhoon Lekima is expected to make landfall in East China’s Zhejiang province on Saturday. Authorities declared a red alert on Friday morning as people brace for likely impacts on transport and power.
- Aug 07, 2019 17:32 PM
- Gallery: It’s Chinese Valentine’s Day, Again
- “Qixi,” the seventh day of the seventh Chinese lunar month, falls this year on Wednesday, Aug. 7. The day is considered Chinese Valentine’s Day and is also the annual girls’ festival.
- Aug 05, 2019 17:02 PM
- Gallery: East China’s Worst Drought in Decades
- The northern part of East China’s Jiangsu province is in the middle of its worst drought in 60 years. Since May, total rainfall in the area has fallen to the lowest in 70 years, leaving the lakes and rivers dry
- Jul 26, 2019 17:42 PM
- Gallery: Astronomical Achievement
- Beijing Interstellar Glory Space Technology Ltd. has become the first private Chinese company to launch a rocket into orbit, marking an important milestone in the development of the country’s commercial space industry. Two previous launches by other Chinese companies had failed, triggering concerns about the health of the nation’s commercial space industry
- Jul 25, 2019 20:03 PM
- Gallery: Staying Cool Amid Record Heat Wave
- People around China are trying their best to stay cool during the summer heat wave. Data released by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration shows that this June was the hottest on record for the world
- Jul 24, 2019 19:50 PM
- Gallery: Guizhou’s Deadly Landslide
- At least 11 people have died in a landslide that occurred late Tuesday in Shuicheng county in Southwest China’s Guizhou province. Although 11 people have been rescued, 34 were still missing as of 11:10 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to state media CCTV.com
- Jul 23, 2019 18:25 PM
- Gallery: China’s Bin Boom
- Shanghai’s new trash sorting rules — expected to roll out shortly in 45 other cities — have annoyed many. But for bin-makers they've been a boon. One Zhejiang province factory received a $3 million order for trashcans
- Jul 19, 2019 19:46 PM
- Gallery: A Scrap Heap of Shared-Bikes
- Many of China’s bike-sharing startups have gone bankrupt or merged with other companies, leaving their branded bikes abandoned. Heaps of impounded and broken bikes have become more and more common in big cities, where they have been left to the scrap recyclers. According to media reports, 99% of the materials in a bike can be reused
Sep 24 08:30 PM
Sep 23 08:37 PM
Sep 21 07:54 PM
Sep 17 09:05 PM
Sep 16 07:48 PM
Sep 15 08:10 PM
Sep 14 08:56 PM
Sep 11 03:50 PM
Sep 10 07:48 PM
Sep 08 05:53 PM
Sep 07 08:42 PM
Sep 06 03:20 PM
Sep 03 09:34 PM
Sep 03 08:53 PM
Sep 02 07:36 PM
- 1Cover Story: How Evergrande Could Turn Into ‘China’s Lehman Brothers’
- 2In Depth: How Evergrande Hid Its Debt
- 3In Depth: How Evergrande Created China’s Most Valuable Automaker Without Selling a Single Car
- 4Caixin Explains: How Evergrande’s Hui Ka Yan Blew Up a $43 Billion Fortune
- 5In Depth: How a Liaoning Bank Got Sucked Into the Evergrande Vortex